Here are some highlights from the past week’s news and upcoming events on family tax credit issues.
- Missouri Rep. Mike Kelley (R) pre-filed a bill to create a state Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The state’s legislative session officially begins January 4 (St. Louis Today).
- Advocates are working to ensure expanding the EITC and Child Tax Credit (CTC) is a priority as Congressional Republicans push for major tax reform in 2017 (The Hill).
- We published a blog outlining ways advocates can help warn taxpayers of impending refund delays (TCWF).
- Joseph Pennisi, executive director of the Florida Policy Institute, wrote an op-ed encouraging lawmakers to pass a measure that would expand the federal EITC to workers not raising children and those younger than 25 (Sun-Sentinel).
- Lawmakers in Minnesota should pass expansions to the state’s EITC and Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit (CDCTC) during the upcoming legislative session, wrote Nan Madden, executive director of the Minnesota Budget and Policy Center (SC Times).